[erlang-questions] couchdb performace 10x: using NIF for file io

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Mon Oct 25 15:27:06 CEST 2010

Hi,

Have you tried the very same benchmark with just using the 'raw'
option when opening the file.
You should then get about the same efficiency as you get with NIFs
with the difference that you
can use asynch threads as well (i.e . the +A option will be
effective). Without the +A you will get the same
setup as you get with your NIF example.
Another benefit with that is that you don't need to write any C-code.

If the NIF example still is much faster (which I doubt) please let me know.

Without use of the raw option all file operations is done via an extra
Erlang process which explains the difference in speed.

/Kenneth Erlang/OTP, Ericsson