[erlang-questions] couchdb performace 10x: using NIF for file io

Dave Smith dizzyd@REDACTED
Sun Oct 24 19:12:29 CEST 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2010, at 3:30 PM, Martin Scholl wrote:
>
>> I'd guess this is because the NIF blocks the current VM thread instead
>> of a dedicated I/O thread.
>
> +A 4 is used by default and using +A 16 reduces the spikes

+A anything won't help you anymore. You are now doing the I/O on the
VM scheduler thread and blocking ANY erlang code (on that scheduler)
while the file op runs. This will certainly make the benchmarks look
faster until typical circumstances; I'd be very curious to see what
happens when you get into an overload situation and spend all your
time blocked on file I/O while incoming client requests pile up. Since
your erlang code won't be running all that often, things could get
dicey.

Nonetheless, an interesting experiment.

D.