[erlang-questions] reading traces from a file in c/c++

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Thu Oct 21 21:50:55 CEST 2010

Hi Joel,

I don't have an immediate solution to your question, but this has been
on my to-do list for a while as I am in the process of rewriting the EPI
project
(http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2005-March/014930.html, http://code.google.com/p/epi/)
to make certain Erlang-like features available in C++.

What I got working so far is:

1. Support for all types of terms: long/double/string/atom/pid/port/ref
via reference counting or copying depending on object's footprint.  All
terms are pretty intelligent and lightweight in a way that you never
need to call new/delete in your code.
2. Support for an atom table.
3. All the marshaling/demarshaling functionality.
4. Distributed client-side connectivity to Erlang nodes and appropriate
epmd connectivity for port discovery.
5. Support for mailboxes with fully asynchronous API allowing making
non-blocking mailbox::recv() calls with completion notifications.
6. The entire application can run in a single thread (everything is
non-blocking) or many threads if needed (currently using boost::asio for
event looping, dispatching and networking).

The next item on my to do list is to add server-side support for
creating a C++ Erlang node with epmd registration.

Reading Erlang terms from a file can be accomplished by writing a
boost::spirit based parser, and a similar example is available here:

http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/libs/property_tree/examples/info_grammar_spirit.cpp

I am planning to release the project to public once it's in somewhat
more complete and working stage.  However, if you wish to contribute,
and write a parser to read and transform a text file in Erlang terms
from my C++ library, there's room for some joint work.

Serge