[erlang-questions] Is a process necessary in front of mnesia?

David Mercer dmercer@REDACTED
Fri Oct 15 15:17:09 CEST 2010

On Thursday, October 14, 2010, Evans, Matthew wrote:

> Another thing I use a gen_server intermediately for is to prioritize
> certain operations over others. In one case we are supposed to process
> many writes as a low-priority task that doesn't affect the read rate.
> Having a gen_server in the way lets us do that.

For task prioritization, gen_server does not immediately leap out at me as
the solution, since gen_servers normally process their requests in FIFO
order.  I would think something that utilized selective receive might be
more appropriate.  What is the solution pattern you use to adapt the
gen_server to this purpose?

Thanks,

DBM