[erlang-questions] Re: Shared/Hybrid Heap

Svatopluk Šperka sperka@REDACTED
Wed Oct 13 11:26:02 CEST 2010

Well, I believe there is a whole spectrum of software systems and
although actor model is most natural model of computation I know, in its
pure form it seems to be applicable only to a limited part of the
spectrum - for practical reasons.

For example data-intensive systems where there is huge amount of data
managed by different processes and you need to compose results from
different processes into a final result, pure share-nothing semantics is
expensive, really expensive in terms of memory consumption and even CPU
cycles.

If you allow data to be shared by processes and its done behind the
curtain by runtime, there's practically no difference for programmer,
whole system just has different properties. What properties change and
how is a complex problem, but I don't think it would be worse from all
perspectives.

Strict share-nothing is probably best choice for what Erlang is
originally aimed for. But not best for everything.

Svatopluk Šperka