[erlang-questions] If you could rename ports, what would you call them?

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Tue Oct 5 21:34:00 CEST 2010

On 5 okt 2010, at 17.04, Joe Armstrong wrote:

> But they shouldn't have been different - sure they have a differnt way
> of being created.

FYI

In the Erlang multiprocessor prototype by Pekka Hedqvist and me, implemented 1997, we moved towards this
model.
Not because it was pretty but because it was simple (and nice looking) ;-)

One thing we did was to remove (nearly) all synchronous calls in the VM, even process_info was implemented
with signals (primitive messages).
Ports and processes both used a common structure (Task) and a common signal interface.

If you have not read it, here is the link. I think it is nice reading. Note that multicore was not present at the time.
We run it on a super expensive PC with 4 processors called four roses, thanks Bjarne ;-)

http://www.erlang.se/publications/xjobb/0089-hedqvist.pdf

It is fun to see that we thought that we should use Pascal like "pseudo code" to be political correct ;-)

/Tony (R)