[erlang-questions] bug in escript and a question

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Oct 5 15:33:44 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Lars Thorsen <lars@REDACTED> wrote:

> You can't have Erlang code on the first line in an escript, here are some
> lines from the man page ;).
>
> --------------------------------
> The header of the Erlang script in the example differs from a normal Erlang
> module. The first line is intended to be the interpreter line, which invokes
> escript. However if you invoke the escript like this
>
> $ escript factorial 5
>
> the contents of the first line does not matter, but it cannot contain Erlang
> code as it will be ignored.

Goodness gracious me - you are indeed correct -

My flabber has been gasted - this surely violates the principle of
least astonishment,
I need a nip of strong smelling-salts to recover.

I thing it would be splendiferous if one could add a line of code in
the first line
of an escript file and if the documentation were to be revised to
remove this rather bizaare
restriction.

/Joe