[erlang-questions] list_element()

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@REDACTED
Thu May 27 16:40:57 CEST 2010

Dear Henning

Do you mean you need to access the nth element of a list?  Is
lists:nth/2 no good?

     http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/lists.html#nth-2

Best wishes

Ivan

On 27/05/2010 15:31, Henning Diedrich wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I need to access a list element by index.
>
> I wrote a function but it looks most clumsy.
>
> I am looking for maximal performance. Should I instead convert the
> list to a tuple and use element()?
>
> The lists are ~ 10 to 30 elements in length. (<-- not an attempt to
> define a frame).
>
> For curiosity, does the below tail-recurse correctly?
>
>        listOrd(_, []) -> nil;
>
>        listOrd(Searched, List) when is_list(List) ->
>
>            listOrd(Searched, List, 1).
>
>        listOrd(_, [], _) -> nil;
>
>        listOrd(Searched, [ Element | Tail ], Count) ->
>
>            case Searched == Element of
>                true -> Count;
>                _ -> listOrd(Searched, Tail, Count + 1)
>            end.
>

> Thanks for your time,
> Henning

Ivan A. Uemlianin

                     ivan@REDACTED
                      www.llaisdy.com
                          llaisdy.wordpress.com
                      www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

     "Froh, froh! Wie seine Sonnen, seine Sonnen fliegen"
                      (Schiller, Beethoven)