Monitor a process vs a node

Evans, Matthew mevans@REDACTED
Fri May 21 19:08:34 CEST 2010

Hi,

We have a distributed Erlang system, and often run into the issue where we need to monitor processes on remote nodes.

The normal way to do this is erlang:monitor(process,Pid).

I have a few questions with this approach:

1) Are we guaranteed to get the {'DOWN', MonitorRef, Type, Object, Info} if the remote node crashes?

2) Is there a cost in doing many erlang:monitor calls (especially over remote nodes)?

3) Would a better option (WRT node crash) to maintain a table of node id's and interested pids on that node, and do erlang:monitor_node/2 instead?

Thanks

Matt