[erlang-questions] I think I wish I could write case Any of whatever -> _ end.

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Wed May 19 05:30:33 CEST 2010

On May 19, 2010, at 3:11 PM, Eric Newhuis (personal) wrote:

> I appreciate all your comments.
>
> I still don't like temporary variables like X or whatever because
> they contain no semantic quality and there is a tension between
> short names to make the pattern obvious and longer names for
> reunderstanding.

The variable name X has been used in the examples,
because the examples have been free of content.
No-one, as far as I am aware, is arguing for the use of X
_as such_, although it is at least better than _  or ~ .

This is why I keep on screaming for *real* examples.
I predict that in real examples, we can find a way to express
what we want with meaningful variable names.