[erlang-questions] I think I wish I could write case Any of whatever -> _ end.

Henning Diedrich hd2010@REDACTED
Tue May 18 05:05:05 CEST 2010

Richard, righteous,

I was just curious about the defense you'd mount to keep ~ for the frame
syntax.

Where the first thing that hit my uneducated I was how the use of ~ in
it was so completely special --- as some other symbol uses in Erlang are
--- that it, well, may be an excellent fit. Why starting to get
conventional. A language proudly flying =< could also have ~ to mean
'something like' while really, yes, significantly different from =.

I think I already got used to the proposed frame syntax, followed your
arguments and support it.

But I think ~ would be great to also roughly mean 'what I just said'.
Also ./. might do, or -"-, or *.

The argument about being hard to pronounce sounds a bit convenient in
this context. Pronouncing code is a rarified art and runs into this
problem time again. There'll be a suggested way to say it and then that
is that. Some suggestions below. Or was the pronunciation of frame
definitions already decided upon?

I think 'sorta-kinda' for ~, as you proposed, may be just fine. It has
this ring of order to it (sort-a), and of being nice (kind), which will
help it be easily remembered. Things like this count! Plus, it will also
work for frame definitions where you pointed out that 'equals' would be
awfully wrong.

But just as '=' can mean many things to different people, maybe '~' can
be used for both things.

I thought it was a tad illogical, however, to argue that because there
is no obviousness to the meaning of <<< in Lisp might indicate that the
'some as above/before' connotation of ~ should likewise and somehow
guilty by association be irrelevant or even counterproductive when
deciding about. It's use.

Not that I believe that anyone cares, but eye have a hobby horse that
had me thinking about hacking the pre-compiler already: the doubling of
function signatures where the variation that is /called/ in the former
is, plus one default argument as literal, exactly the head of the next.
I might be doing something wrong there but I keep copying heads and it
makes the code hard to read. I regularily go, copy a head, paste it
three times (one over the old ) and alter two of them marginally. A nice
remedy could be:

Fun(A) -> Fun(A, b).

Fun(A,B) ...

This could become

Fun(A) -> ~~ b.

Fun(A,B) ...

Where ~~ would mean, 'the thing I just wrote, in and out of the
brackets, and add this parameter as last argument'.

It could be pronounced 'same-but-with' or 'razor', because that's really
what it does, razor some boilerplate and double expressiveness, no? It
could not be used every time, but could clean up some code.

~~~ (3x) finally, could be used to be expanded internally into _ -> ~,
or, X -> X and could be called 'tri-barbed-wire' as I think you
suggested. I can pronounce that.

Sorry there is no relation to the negation connotation that ~ somehow
brings along. But that seemed to be alright for its use in io:format in
the first place, didn't it? Also, somehow, it negates writing code doubly.

Yours sincerely,
Henning