[erlang-questions] I think I wish I could write case Any of whatever -> _ end.

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Mon May 17 04:55:44 CEST 2010

On May 15, 2010, at 7:05 AM, Eric Newhuis (personal) wrote:

> Consider:
>
> X = case Any of
> 		very_long_pattern_or_whatever ->
> 			very_long_pattern_or_whatever
> 	end.
>

> I'd rather abbreviate that like this.
>
> X = case Any of
> 	very_long_pattern_or_whatever -> _
> 	end.
>
> It also seems more readable to me than:
>
> X = case Any of
> 	very_long_pattern_or_whatever=Y -> Y
> 	end.

Abusing the wild-card like that would be very confusing.
It certainly is NOT more readable than

	X = case Any
	      of Y = very_long_pattern_or_whatever ->
	    end
or
	X = case Y = Any
	      of very_long_pattern_or_whatever -> Y
	    end

or even
	Y = Any,
	X = case Y
	      of very_long_pattern_or_whatever -> Y
	    end

We already have so many readable ways to do it that
we're much better off not adding an unreadable one.