fire off a task via erlang

Wes James comptekki@REDACTED
Thu May 13 17:29:31 CEST 2010

Yesterday some colleagues were talking about "how they would keep
track of possibly millions of tasks that would need to be fired off on
a given interval that users could select."  I.e, they were discussing
how this could be made possible. For instance a user would log in to a
web interface and they would set a task that could be an email or text
message that would fire off once or every hour or every day at 1pm,
etc.  Kind of like cron or even something like google calendar
(sending event notifictions).  I was telling them that erlang could
probably handle something like this.  I was thinking about the timer
module.  The timer module would work for this wouldn't it?  I'm not
sure how it would scale though.  Each user could manage their own
timers, it would seem. Anyone have thoughts on this?

thx,

-wes