[erlang-questions] Classification of concurrency patterns

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed May 12 22:32:32 CEST 2010

Hi AJ,

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 21:34, AJ Heller <aj@REDACTED> wrote:
> @Vlad: While I empathize with you, I do think the distinctions are
> important. Taking myself as an example, I can still look at most of
> the GoF patterns and argue that they're each a special case of the
> Strategy Pattern (though I've learned to stop arguing about this). To
> people that work with these patterns on a daily basis, the nuances
> between the patterns are significant. So even though I don't yet grasp
> many of the nuances myself, I can appreciate that other people do. So
> long as there are significant differences between appropriate uses,
> strengths, and pitfalls for a pattern and its variation, I'd argue
> that the variation probably deserves its own entry in the list. Even
> if they all still look like divide and conquer to me :) .

I don't disagree. The only item that really isn't a separate one is #4
(identical jobs) which is identical to #1 - it only happens that the
number of jobs is the same as the number of processing units that I
have available here and now. On most other machines it would be
classified as #1.

best regards,
Vlad