[erlang-questions] ordered_set and range queries

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Sun May 9 00:04:42 CEST 2010

In order to limit the scan, you need to make sure the first part
of the key pattern is bound/constant. In this case, only the record
tag is constant, but it is the same for all records in the table...

There is no analysis in place that determines whether the guard
pattern could warrant a limited scan.

For the kind of test you're doing here, an alternative would be
to use mnesia:dirty_next(test, {test,Start,Floor}), where Floor
is something that you know to be smaller than any actual value
in that position in the table. Then you could keep doing next()
until you hit the upper bound.

Unless the table is really very large, this is likely to be
more costly than doing the select, though.

BR,
Ulf W