[erlang-questions] Re: Special syntax for dictionaries

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu May 6 04:43:17 CEST 2010

On May 5, 2010, at 10:20 PM, Robert Virding wrote:
> This was the main reason that = is used in the record syntax. While ~
> may look strange using : will cause problems. How about =? Though this
> may force you to parenthesize some expressions.

That would certainly ease the transition from records to frames.
Ease of transition was a big feature of Joe Armstrong's proposed
syntax.

When I tried rewriting existing code to use frames instead of
records, I actually found it helpful to be using a *different*
symbol so that I could look at a multiline pattern or expression
and tell at a glance whether I had converted it or not.

Why do we find it easier to argue about the colour of the paint
for the Ark than to climb aboard?