[erlang-questions] Binary Matching Restrictions

Björn Gustavsson bgustavsson@REDACTED
Wed May 5 07:53:20 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Alisdair Sullivan
<alisdairsullivan@REDACTED> wrote:
> Curious as to why functions had to end with a tail call to a function that performs a binary match instruction in order for optimizations to be applied,

On what do you base that claim?

> Any documentation I should read to better understand what's going on here?

Yes, the Efficiency Guide:

http://www.erlang.org/doc/efficiency_guide/binaryhandling.html

Section 4.3 is about matching binaries, and it also describes
the bin_opt_info compiler option that will instruct the compiler
to print information about binary matching optimizations or
lack thereof.