[erlang-questions] Managing Experiments

Gordon Guthrie gordon@REDACTED
Sun Jun 27 11:53:30 CEST 2010

Jeremy

Run the old and new functionality in parallel in the backend and do the
switching in the GUI.

So you would have module1.erl and module2.erl which are branched versions of
each other with the same/similar interface, the same/similar supervision
tree and the same/similar startup process.

Each user either gets GUI1 which maps to module1 or GUI2 which maps to
module 2 - this can be static hmtl/javascript switching or dynamic on some
A/B parameter.

The module that you use to switch web requests (out/1 in yaws or the mochi
equivalent) then needs to switch based on request_type1 or request_type2

This will work fine in a development style web-app where there is no
published API.

For changes behind an API you will need to implement the switching in out/1
or the equivalent.

Gordon

--
Gordon Guthrie