[erlang-questions] erlang's binary representation of 7 compared to other languages

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Fri Jul 30 04:29:46 CEST 2010

The reason why Erlang doesn't specially recognise \a as 7 is that when
we added character escaping we tool the basic C set and used that.
IIRC \a wasn't in that set. To do it now would be to introduce
something which in not backwards compatible so not without its
problems. Although I think very few would be affected by it. Btw the 7
is BEL in the ascii characters, unfortunately \b is already taken.

Robert