[erlang-questions] Are recursive record definitions allowed?

Maria Christakis mchris@REDACTED
Wed Jul 28 09:36:04 CEST 2010

On 07/27/2010 10:28 PM, Brian Williams wrote:
> I'm working on some algorithm analysis and am trying to define a
> fairly simple binary search tree with a record definition:
> -record(btreenode, {left = #btreenode{}, right = #btreenode{}, value}).
> I get:
> record btreenode undefined
>
> Should I just not bother to specify the type of left and right and
> just enforce the record type in code?

If, as you say, you are just trying "to specify the type of left and right"
and not assign an initial (default) value, then you should write your
record definition as follows:

-record(btreenode, {left :: #btreenode{}, right :: #btreenode{}, value}).