Erlang consumes memory suddenly

Evgeniy Khramtsov xramtsov@REDACTED
Fri Jul 23 04:18:03 CEST 2010

Hi there!

Recently we played with emulator '+Musbct 5' flag in ejabberd to reduce
memory consumption. All was fine in stress testing, so we tried it in
production. Several hours everything was good but then suddenly Erlang
started to consume RSS memory and finally we stopped it. We monitor
memory, so you can see the spike here:
http://kuku.jabber.ru/~xram/ejabberd_memory-day.png
As you can see, no processes/system memory was consumed.

So my questions are:
1) Is this a bug or a feature? If this is a feature, is it possible to
know what consumed memory?
2) If +Musbct option works incorrectly, then what option should we use
to decrease the difference between erlang:memory(total) and RSS?
Sometimes this difference reaches up to 2Gb of RSS.

We are running R13B04, all linked-in drivers use
driver_alloc/driver_free/driver_realloc (either directly or through
provided memory callbacks).
Currently we are trying +Musbct 20 :)

--
Regards,