[erlang-questions] Volunteers wanted for new project

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Thu Jul 22 13:53:45 CEST 2010

"I think that http://projects.trapexit.org/ seems like a reasonably good fit
for what you are asking for.  It crawls github, sourceforge, bitbucket and
google code searching for erlang-related projects."

But when I try to find the parser that Joe finally got pointed to, I don't
see anything matching the description.

There are repositories called "stuff", though.  Just in case anybody
happened to want something called "stuff."

I like the bit of graphical fanciness of http://projects.trapexit.org/ but
it's dispensable.  What I don't like is getting an alphabetized list of 1450
items most of which don't amount to anything.  Wings 3D is listed twice.
 Its ranking in both cases is the same as for "stuff" -- zero stars.  Even
though Wings 3D a pretty solid piece of code with a large community of
users.

What this should be telling you is that you've got something very backwards
here, in terms of offering value to the Erlang community. Don't try to
automate the listing of Erlang-coded packages.  Instead, when you find what
might be an Erlang-coded package, make use of *human* intelligence: contact
the people responsible for the code, asking if they are interested in being
listed.  You probably won't get a reply from most of them.  You'll get about
1/10th to 1/5th the number of package listings.  But that's a feature, not a
bug.  Finding useful things will no longer be like pawing through a drawer
mostly full of unmatched socks.  If it takes someone's actual human effort
to get a thing listed, each thing on the list will be something that at
least one person in the world actually cares about.  And if at least one
person cares about it, the chances that there are two or more people who
would care are much higher.

-michael turner