[erlang-questions] werl R14A on windows 7 frequently crashes during file access

Brian Williams mixolyde@REDACTED
Tue Jul 20 19:24:56 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Tuncer Ayaz <tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Brian Williams wrote:

>>> What about C:\Windows\minidump?
>>>

>> No. I should probably add that this is a windows 7 box. Is that
>> location determined by the OS when it detects the crash, or by werl
>> before it dies?
>
> It is determined by the crash handler configured in the OS settings
> and possible that no crash dump has been written or that it's in a
> different directory. I don't have a Windows install to check. You
> might want to read the docs about configuring user-mode minidumps and
> enabling crash dumps. Have a look in the MSDN.
>
> You can also install windbg as the postmortem debugger and have it
> spawned on each unhandled crash if you don't want to configure crash
> dump settings. Also some applications like popular web browsers have
> their own crash handler to collect and submit crash info to their
> online database. These may not trigger a system level debugger at all
> if their crash handler is not disabled.

Looks like in windows 7, after turning mini dumps on in advanced
settings, they go to:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps

--
Brian E. Williams
mixolyde@REDACTED

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor