[erlang-questions] werl R14A on windows 7 frequently crashes during file access

Brian Williams mixolyde@REDACTED
Tue Jul 20 14:26:55 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Tuncer Ayaz <tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Brian Williams wrote:
>>
>> Where would I look for this dump?
>
> Default should be C:\Windows\minidumps and I think it's configurable.

That directory doesn't exist. I guess I have to configure it in
Windows somewhere? I don't know where to do that.

>> Would I be able to make sense of it at all?
>
> As you saw a crash dialog and no debugger was started it's safe
> to assume that no postmortem debugger is configured.
> Therefore a tool called DrWatson should have written a crashdump file.
>
> You can use windbg to load the dump file and beam.smp.pdb to see
> where it crashed. The PDB file contains debug info/symbols and you
> should find it here: <ErlangInstallDir>\erts-5.8\bin\beam.smp.pdb.
>
> If you don't have windbg installed, start here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx
>
> If you have never used windbg, continue here:
> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/debug/windbg_part1.aspx#_Toc64133675
>
> If you want to reproduce the crash and not search for the dump file,
> consider configuring windbg as the portmortem debugger:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff539055%28v=VS.85%29.aspx
> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/debug/windbg_part1.aspx#_Toc64133667

I'll grab that and take a look, thanks!

--
Brian E. Williams
mixolyde@REDACTED

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor