[erlang-questions] Erlang: Who uses it for games?

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Jul 8 02:05:24 CEST 2010

On Jul 8, 2010, at 4:27 AM, Nicholas Frechette wrote:
> hand optimize code which will require C++/assembly) and not so much
> on the
> PS3 where you may get a hard time using the SPUs from erlang (as I'm
> guessing the VM won't run on them out of the box and you might have
> to spend
> considerable time to get erlang processes to run on SPUs (feasible I'm
> sure)).

It's not clear that it _is_ feasible in any interesting sense.
The SPUs are essentially numeric vector engines.  They have 128
registers, each 128 bits wide; loads are only 128 bits (16 bytes)
and stores are only 128 bits (16 bytes).  Memory is byte addressed
and addresses are 32 bits, but the 2009 manual talks about 256 kB.

One could imagine SPU _nodes_ doing vector crunching that Erlang
processes running on the PPU communicated with as if Erlang.  But
Erlang would not be the language of choice for programming SPUs.
(An APL dialect would be ideal, or Fortran 95.)