[erlang-questions] bit syntax or tokens ?

info info@REDACTED
Sat Jul 3 11:56:45 CEST 2010

Thank you Robert,
Once I have got them, I will mainly compare with string data or make calculation.
if A == "ABC" -> ...
Sometimes I want A as a string, sometimes A as integer !!
I try to stay with the bit syntax "as long as possible" but I don't know if it's a good approach !
John

Another alternative is to do:

< <A:3/binary,_:8,B:2/binary,_:8,G/binary > > = S.

which will give binaries A, B and G. It is, however, a very static way
of doing it. Using the new binary module as Jesper suggests is much
more dynamic and adaptable. While you can put what you want into a
binary the bit syntax was never really designed for string fields,
especially not dynamic ones, as you can't search with it.

How much do you know about the substrings and what are you going to do
with them once you have got them? This can also influence how you
extract them.

Robert