[erlang-questions] changes in native functions for the next otp release.

Sverker Eriksson sverker@REDACTED
Thu Jan 21 14:12:42 CET 2010

Angel wrote:
> Hi
>
> Some months ago, i discovered that square root of bignums is not implemented
> in erlang. So i developed a tiny C port program to do this math stuff.
>
> Now im considering making a NIF implementation....
>
> i dont know if
>
> int enif_get_int(ErlNifEnv* env, ERL_NIF_TERM term, int* ip)
>
> will allow me to manipulate bignums or i have to resort on binaries.

No, enif_get_int will only give you integers within the bounds of the
C-type "int".
I guess you have to resort to binaries.

> ¿is erl_nif subject for big changes for the next release? any changes for
> bignums?

There will be changes and additions but I don't think bignums will make
it to next release. The main problem is to choose a good bignum
representation to use and support for ever.

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP Ericsson