[erlang-questions] Common Test questions

Peter Andersson peppe@REDACTED
Thu Jan 14 12:02:00 CET 2010

Hi guys,

Sorry for not replying sooner!

1) Common Test doesn't have a feature to "transparently" perform rpc
calls, or spawn test case functions on a remote node. (Not currently
anyway. The underlying Test Server has support for it, so it shouldn't
actually be too hard to implement in CT.) You'd have to use rpc like you
suggest (take a look at the ct_rpc module), or write test cases as stub
functions that execute the tests on the target node (by means of spawn
or rpc call). The latter requires that the suite module can be loaded on
the target node though, and also, getting line number info at exit won't
work. Another possibility, could maybe be to use the "Large Scale
Testing" support (i.e. the ct_master interface). This runs distributed
Common Test servers on arbitrary nodes in a network - controlled from
one central master node. Read about it in the user's guide (and/or
contact me with questions).

2) There are two ways to do this: Use the end_per_testcase/2 function,
like Vasilij suggests. This is the best choice if you need to get the
result of your operation into the logs (or even have it fail the test
case). The second option would be to plug in an event handler that
receives tc_done events and performs your operation after each test case
(see the Event Handling chapter in the user's guide).

  /Peter

Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB