Dialyzer - success typing

Adrian Roe ARoe@REDACTED
Fri Dec 31 13:36:13 CET 2010

I am just cleaning up code in a large project by checking that dialyzer is happy with it and am getting lots of warnings similar to this:

"scheduler.erl:64: Type specification scheduler_gs:trigger_poll() -> 'ok' | '
not_started' is a subtype of the success typing: scheduler_gs:trigger_poll() ->
any()\n"

where I am wrapping a gen_server (gen_fsm etc) call in a public API such as this one.

-spec stop_poll() -> ok | not_started.
stop_poll() ->
    gen_server:call(?SERVER, stop_poll, infinity).

I sympathise entirely with the warning and it very much fits with Erlang's crash and crash early paradigm, so checking seems like a good idea. I can obviously get rid of the warning by wrapping the call in a case statement

-spec start_poll() -> ok | already_polling.
start_poll() ->
    case gen_server:call(?SERVER, start_poll, infinity) of
                ok ->
                    ok;
                already_polling ->
                    already_polling
    end.

However, this really doesn't improve readability and will get silly if there are lots of possible return values (for example the current state of a gen_fsm).
Am I being stupid?

Happy New Year to one and all.

Adrian