[erlang-questions] discussion: mnesia table-specific options

Anthony Molinaro anthonym@REDACTED
Mon Dec 20 20:05:49 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:57:00PM +0530, Kannan wrote:
> When we have the option to decide on the backend data-store, we can only use
> the very basic functionalities of those databases (put, get, delete,
> initialization, recovery?). Only this way; we can preserve the purpose of
> Erlang.

mnesiax I believe abstracted all the required functions into a behaviour
here

http://code.google.com/p/mnesiaex/source/browse/trunk/mnesiaex/src/mnesia_ext.erl

Which is mostly what you describe, but includes things like update_counter/3

Riak also has the concept of pluggable backends like you mention with fewer
operations,

https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/blob/master/src/riak_kv_backend.erl

However, in both cases, it seems like the datastores have a pretty simple
api consisting and that most things are deferred to mnesia.

I like the idea of pluggable backends, and liked using mnesiax with tcerl
because it allowed an ordered set on disk.

Anyway, just some information and links for those interested in the discussion

-Anthony