[erlang-questions] To name a function

Thu Dec 16 10:29:55 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 09:44:29AM +0100, Morten Krogh wrote:
> Hi
>
> As soon as you have seen both an element that satisfies the condition
> and one that doesn't, you can return "some", making a full list
> traversal overkill for many inputs.

To support that idea (regardless of what this thread is about,
I am just throwing in an observation), if you have to traverse
a list once - you have linear speed complexity; O(N).

If you instead do it twice this does not change, you just
get a constant factor speed degradation.

If you (sub- ?) optimize by traversing the list once but do
more work by building intermediate results of which most
are uninteresting - you stress the garbage collector
which makes the speed complexity harder to determine.
You probably get anything from a large constant factor speed
degradation to even O(N*log(N)) .. O(N*N).

Therefore it is often a good idea to first traverse the list
without building garbage to decide if you can skip the term building
traversal entirely, unless it is obvious this rarely happens.