[erlang-questions] Speaking of comments

Iñaki Garay igarai@REDACTED
Mon Dec 13 16:08:03 CET 2010

>> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Edmond Begumisa <ebegumisa@REDACTED
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I've thought -- now and then, in the back of my mind -- about removing
>> > comments from actual source all-together (for all languages) and instead,
>> > putting them in companion files that the editor lines up side-by-side. More
>> > like annotating than just traditional commenting.
It was my understanding that this is called literate programming, as
envisioned by Knuth, although he includes the comment markup in the
same file as the code, and uses a preprocessor to extract either the
documentation or the code.
Knuth's original program was for C and is called CWEB.

A search for 'erlang literate programming'  revealed that Joe
Armstrong has looked into this at some time [0], but I don't know if
it's still active.

[0] http://www.sics.se/~joe/ericsson/literate/literate.html

cheers,
Iñaki Garay.