[erlang-questions] PPA for ubuntu?

Alain O'Dea alain.odea@REDACTED
Sat Dec 11 04:15:28 CET 2010

PPAs are not maintained by the Debian packagers.  They are Personal
Package Archives uploaded by individuals in the Ubuntu community.
Debian's release process does not govern them.

I consider PPAs to be "use at own risk".  If you feel the risk is
manageable, then take it, but I do not recommend using PPAs for
production systems.

The risks include things like malware/spyware payloads in the PPA.

More disussion of the risks of PPAs at
http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/11/ubuntu-ppa-problem-reason-for-concern.html

Bear in mind with a hosted service you are putting your customers
information at risk.  In an intranet service you are putting your
corporate IP assets at risk.

Please consider not using an Erlang PPA.