Speaking of comments

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Wed Dec 8 16:15:14 CET 2010

I've thought -- now and then, in the back of my mind -- about removing
comments from actual source all-together (for all languages) and instead,
putting them in companion files that the editor lines up side-by-side.
More like annotating than just traditional commenting.

Has this sort of thing been done before? Is there a particular editor that
can give me this out of the box? (I admittedly haven't explored a large
number of editors)

Using Erlang as an example, I've secretly wanted something like...

foo.erl
foo.cts

Then an editor that could give me two panes while keeping the two files in
sync...

foo ->  | This function does...
   blah  |   This part is buggy...
   balh  |

Also, in the right pane, I've wanted nestable trees with flexible levels
of detail. Heck, why not even rich text? "FIX ME" in bold red. Take it
further: login-name awareness, source-control/bug-tracker integration
(this programmer said this, that programmer said that.)

It seems a shame that in 2010, it's still so limiting what we can do with
comments in our source code!

- Edmond -