mailing list "reply to"

Matthew Palmer mpalmer@REDACTED
Tue Dec 7 20:12:32 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 09:10:58AM +0100, Morten Krogh wrote:
> It is not so important to me. Don't change it.
> But the problem is, of course, that not all MUAs work like yours.
> There is no reply to list, which means that one must copy/ paste
> addresses around.

So fix your MUA.  If you choose to use an MUA lacking that feature, then
that's your choice.  Nobody is forcing you to do more work.  On the other
hand, if Reply-To is mangled, then people wishing to make private replies
*are* forced to do more work.

> Also, why are private replies important at all in a mailing list?

I think that:

is a fairly good demonstration of why they're important.

(If that msgid is mangled, as I suspect it is, then blame Google's
craptastic mangling algorithm, combined with "ez"mlm's inability to provide
a raw view of a mail message)

- Matt