[erlang-questions] Some problem abount exit signal?

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Sun Dec 5 21:32:42 CET 2010

On 5 Dec 2010, at 19:49, Robert Virding wrote:

> I was thinking more about the effect I have on *other* processes when
> I send them a 'kill' signal. The effect depends on *how* I send them
> signal and not on the signal: if I kill myself with 'kill' it is
> trappable and affects them as any other non-'normal' signal while if I
> send it to them with an exit/2 it is untrappable. I think other
> processes should be affected in the same way if they get a 'kill'
> signal irrespective of how I sent it to them.

…but a supervisor must be able to trap an EXIT propagated to it
from a process terminated with a kill signal. Otherwise, killing a
supervised process in an application supervision tree would
inevitably lead to the termination of the whole node.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, CTO, Erlang Solutions, Ltd.
http://erlang-solutions.com