[erlang-questions] guard expression restriction

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Fri Dec 3 10:36:19 CET 2010

Yes, doing it that way was definitely a mistake. It seemed like a good idea at the time as you could use it to optimise the tests by converting some of them to guards. Unfortunately, we/I didn't think through the repurcussions enough before releasing it. And then it was too late.

I wonder what would happen if it was just silently changed? :-)

A general reflection is that one problem with trying to change something in Erlang/OTP is that not only does it have to work properly, it also has to fail properly. It is the failure which is the problem here.

Robert