[erlang-questions] mailing list "reply to"

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Dec 2 23:19:31 CET 2010

On 2/12/2010, at 8:01 PM, Mazen Harake wrote:

> On 02/12/2010 05:42, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
>> Reply-To is for message authors to set when they DON'T want replies to go to
>> the list.
> Aren't most replies going to the list? E.g. When replying to you I had to first do Reply All and then remove your name from the To field so that you don't get a personal copy AND a message is sent to the mailing list.

Actually, no.  Mailing list software is supposed to look at the addresses and NOT
send a copy to people on the mailing list who are already on the cc list.
So the normal way to reply to everyone on a mailing list is supposed to be

> Isn't the point of the mailing list to have a forum-like behaviour?

Yes, which is why mailing list software is supposed to do its job properly.
That means
 - NOT setting Reply-To, which RFC 2822 makes clear is for the use of the
   author of a message only
 - NOT sending duplicate messages