[erlang-questions] guard expression restriction

James Churchman jameschurchman@REDACTED
Wed Dec 1 19:22:51 CET 2010

Interestingly list comprehensions offer custom guards, if that it of use to you.

But i agree, custom guards that can not only cause side effects but can crash, throw exceptions, do send and receives, pause code etc.. etc.. would be a horrible thing that i would never want to see in erlang You would need a try catch for just function names etc... tho maybe there is a compromise that could somehow be worked out.

My personal very simple technique that fixes one type of need for custom guards is to name the variables the same.

eg :

> does_match("yes","no").

does_match(Var1,Var1)-> they_match;
does_match(_,_)-> no_match.

i find myself always looping threw stuff and needing to match all of inputs to a variable (only known at run time, that may even change during the recursion etc.. ) and this stops this type of code everywhere : does_match(Var1,Var2) when Var1==Var2 -> etc.. all threw my code and can be used to put a lot more of the logic in the function definition & modularity complex things can be build up like this and still be quite readable