[erlang-questions] Why Distributed Is So Hard

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Tue Aug 31 09:24:21 CEST 2010

Hey Jason, nice essay, but I just wanted to say: before DOS there was this
OS concept called "time sharing."  But don't worry, nothing ever came of it.
;-)

It would be interesting to extend Erlang to evaluate its current "boolean
expressions" in terms of Relevance Logic -- yielding something like "no
information" and "conflicting information" values alongside "true" and
"false".  There might be interesting implications here, for retrofitting
Erlang to selectively provide lazy evaluation, speculative execution and
certain pleasing variations on vanilla exception handling.  But perhaps the
most salutary effect could be "philosophical" in the best (i.e., most
practical) way.  In what ordinarily seems to be the very simplest form of
computation (e.g., "=:="), the problems and potential of distributed
computation would always be at least latent.

-michael turner