[erlang-questions] VM silently exits

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Aug 23 08:49:55 CEST 2010

Steve Vinoski wrote:

> To track down my issue I temporarily modified heart to first issue a
> SIGUSR1, thereby initiating a crash dump, then waiting 10 seconds
> before issuing a SIGQUIT if needed to cause a core dump, and after a 1
> second sleep finally issuing a SIGKILL if needed to kill off any
> non-responsive VMs. Normally you don't want heart waiting 10-15
> seconds like this before restarting, since you just want the VM to go
> back into action as quickly as possible, [...]

Steve, I think that depends. If you have a redundant setup, you
would probably fail over to the standby(s) rather than waiting
for the node to restart, in which case you most likely also prefer
to wait for it to log some useful diagnostics first.

Perhaps the appropriate thing is to be able to instruct heart
whether it should be nice or brutal when restarting the VM?

BR,
Ulf W
--
Ulf Wiger
CTO, Erlang Solutions Ltd, formerly Erlang Training & Consulting Ltd