[erlang-questions] Leex And Character Encodings

Gordon Guthrie gordon@REDACTED
Sat Aug 21 10:37:20 CEST 2010

Robby

The front end supports full unicode and the inputs are expressions like in
Excel. The valid expressions consist of:
* functions (hundreds with unicode names)
* operators (+ - * / &)
* types ("quoted unicode strings" 1 true #ERRVAL! {date, time}) - the dates
are matched out of strings
* cell addresses and paths (a1 ./a1 ../../some/path/bob33 /a/path/a2
!a!path!a3)

The paths are lower-cased unicode and can't contain spaces and certain
characters - the cell addresses are latin alphabet based...

The front end sends everything utf-8 so some characters are encoded with 2,
3 or 4 bytes...

Best to just do a round trip set of examples. Stick at expression in the
front-end, store it in the db and it returns both the original expression
and the result of evaluating it to the front-end. This table

Front-End                  Back-End                                  Expr
Returned           Val Returned
åäãâáà                      åäãâáà                       åäãâáà
            åäãâáà
="åäãâá "                  " =\"åäãâá \""              ="åäãâá "
          åäãâáà
="åä " & "ãâá"            =\"åä \" & \"ãâá\""      ="åä " & "ãâá"
  åäãâáà
=1+2                          =1+2
=1+2                       3
= 1 + 2                       = 1 + 2                                      =
1 + 2                    3

The problem comes when I put spaces in the white space:
=  1 +     2                  "=Â  1 +Â Â Â Â  2"                  =  1 +
  2                #ERROR!

The expression round trips fine but (unlike the previous examples) the
server-side expression returns an error for the value because the expression
doesn't match any valid syntax.

Tabs are expanded to white spaces so the only problem (I think) is with
multiple white spaces - which is why I think just adding a lexical token to
make  the same as 2 spaces would work.

The problem is that it is just fugly :(

Gordon

--