very large distributed implementation?

Matthew Palmer mpalmer@REDACTED
Tue Aug 17 10:42:19 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 05:15:51PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Our of somewhat less than academic curiousity, are there any good
> examples of very large distributed systems written in Erlang -
> specifically systems consisting of 100s to 1000s of computing nodes?
>
> I'm looking at several applications along the lines of SETI@REDACTED and
> distributed.net, that take the background cycles, from very large
> numbers of machines, and turn them into a gridded processing environent.
>
> It strikes me that Erlang should make a very nice platform for such an
> environment.  I wonder if anyone has actually done anything on this
> scale.

I haven't deployed any such thing, but from what I've read and experimented
with, Erlang would make an excellent language for writing the coordination
and management layer of the whole thing, but I'd be inclined to write the
actual number crunching parts in something a bit more suited to high
efficiency.

- Matt