[erlang-questions] Wondering on active TCP socket

Kresten Krab Thorup krab@REDACTED
Fri Aug 13 12:12:06 CEST 2010

Hi,

In "active" mode, a socket acts like an infinite loop that simply forwards incoming data to the designated target process.  Incoming data is repackaged according to the socket's current packet mode.

There is no flow control, unlike normal message sends where the sender is punished with reductions proportional to the size of the message queue.  The port driver does not have a concept of reductions that will slow it down, and most of it's operations run in the asynch threads that are independent of the normal scheduling of Erlang processes; so driver's are at liberty to run infinitely.

So perhaps you can insert something like this in your consume loop to do your own pseudo flow control - this will  switch active on/off according to some high/low watermark for the consuming process queue length.  But since the port runs independently, there is no guarantee that the queue does not overrun.

Kresten

init() ->
   Socket = inets:accept(...);
   ControlState = set_controlled_active(Socket, 100, 200),
   main_loop(ControlState).

main_loop(CS) ->
     CS2 = control_active(true, CS),
     receive
        {data, DataPkt} -> ...
            main_loop(CS2)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%% pseudo flow control for active sockets %%

-record(flow_control,{socket,is_active,low,high}).

set_controlled_active(Socket, LowWaterMark, HighWaterMark) ->
    [{active, IsActive}] = inet:getopts(Socket, [active]),
    control_active(true,
		   #flow_control { socket=Socket,
				   is_active=IsActive,
				   low=LowWaterMark,
				   high=HighWaterMark}).

%% you want it to be active, and it is currently set to active; test
%% if our queue size is above the high watermark
control_active(true, #flow_control{is_active=true, high=HW}=State) ->
    {message_queue_len, QLen} = erlang:process_info(message_queue_len),
    case QLen > HW of
	true ->
	    ok = inet:setopts(State#flow_control.socket, [{active, false}]),
	    State#flow_control{is_active=false};
	false ->
	    State
    end;

%% you want it to be active, but it is currently set to non-active; test
%% if our queue size is below the LowWatermark
control_active(true, #flow_control{is_active=false, low=LW}=State) ->
    {message_queue_len, QLen} = erlang:process_info(message_queue_len),
    case QLen < LW of
	true ->
	    ok = inet:setopts(State#flow_control.socket, [{active, true}]),
	    State#flow_control{is_active=true};
	false ->
	    State
    end;

%% setting active to false
control_active(false, #flow_control{socket=Socket}=State ) ->
    ok = inet:setopts(Socket,[{active, false}]),