[erlang-questions] OOP in Erlang

Tony Arcieri tony.arcieri@REDACTED
Sun Aug 8 22:32:06 CEST 2010

To my knowledge both features are considered experimental.

Neither of these are really "OOP" features. Parameterized modules merely
make the module name and a prespecified set of variables implicit/hidden.
However, a call to a parameterized module is still just a function call.
Objects interpret and dispatch incoming messages.

Module inheritance doesn't provide inheritance in the traditional style of
OOP. It's more like "mix-ins", if you're familiar with those.

If you're really looking for OOP in Erlang, I suggest you take a look at my
language Reia, which provides a true "everything is an object"-style object
orientation, true single inheritance, real hidden state with better handling
of code change, and more.

More on Reia:
http://wiki.reia-lang.org/wiki/Reia_Programming_Language

More on Reia's object orientation: