[erlang-questions] cost of passing a gen_server state between functions

Hynek Vychodil hynek@REDACTED
Sun Aug 8 19:45:56 CEST 2010

There should not be difference because if function do_something is
short (not in term of source code but result code) compiler will often
inline it and then do same optimization as if work done in function.
Even compiler don't inline it should not be big difference because
state will be pass by pointer to it and call overhead should be low
compared to function itself. Biggest difference will be when you do
external call (m:f() call form or worse M:f() ot M:F()) when overhead
is bigger and compiler can't inline and can't do any optimization
because it would violate hot code swap promise. Note that state is
never copied in function call in Erlang. Erlang do copy on write when
state is modified but not in function calls even for external calls.

If you are curious you can do a lot of things. For example
1/ compile using 'S' option and look at result
2/ write some sort of benchmark and ask if you will see something unexpected

--
--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Analyze your data in minutes. Share your insights instantly. Thrill
your boss.  Be a data hero!
Try GoodData now for free: www.gooddata.com