[erlang-questions] SMP active?

Wallentin Dahlberg wallentin.dahlberg@REDACTED
Sun Aug 8 16:19:29 CEST 2010

There is obviously a serialization point somewhere in your test or some
other place underneath.
ETS is not single-threaded, it uses the same context as the calling process,
or rather it is the process and the corresponding thread. There are some
tweaks with ETS, I suggest you read-up on them, but in essence there is one
rw-lock per table and a namelookup lock (the metaname lock).

Since there is speculation on what the problem is you should use one of the
profilers provided in OTP. My favorite is the lock counter, lcnt, (though i
may be biased). The lock counter is not hard to use but you need some common
sense to interpret the results. You also need to recompile the vm (emulator
directory) with lcnt enabled. It has low cpu overhead but will consume a bit
of memory. lcnt will identify which locks give the most serialization, if it
is a process it will give you the registered name or pid. All locks in the
emulator are named (almost all are named with their purpose), and that will
give you an idea of whats going on.

Percept may also be useful but that one is a bit harder to interpret. Eprof
has low overhead (from R14A) and will tell you which functions take up the
most time, that is also helpful in identifying bad code.

// Björn-Egil