[erlang-questions] Thoughts on when to use 'infinity' timeouts for gen_server:call and friends

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Aug 4 12:57:22 CEST 2010

On 08/03/2010 08:35 PM, Kenneth Lundin wrote:

> If we can find a suitable name we could also introduce new functions
> with arity 2 and 3
> replacing gen_server:call/2 and 3.
>
> Some suggestions on names are:
> call2
> call_ex (following the style in the Windows API)
> call_nt/2 (nt standing for no timeout, but does that make sense for a
> call_nt/3 where the third
> argument is the timout in seconds or infinity)
>
> Suggestions on names are welcome.

gen_server:rpc/2?

(It might confuse some into thinking that it is only used for
distributed communication, but this should pass quickly. :)

gen_server:req/2 (as in 'request')?

or...

gen_server:synch/2
gen_server:asynch/2  (corresponding to cast/2)

BR,
Ulf W