[erlang-questions] timer server timeout

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Apr 26 11:46:03 CEST 2010

Kenneth,

I think we could put this down as one of the things that
people at Ericsson have known for years but never formally
raised a complaint about. Mea Culpa, I've avoided the use
of the internal gen_server timeouts for at least a decade
for this reason, and have certainly advised others to do it
as well. I guess I assumed that it was common knowledge by
now and didn't reflect on whether or not it was in the docs.

I am almost sure that it has been mentioned a number of times
on the mailing list, but that's neither here nor there. It
should be documented.

It's not just debugging that can cause this. Code change and
stray messages can do it too. For the same reason that a
process should be prepared to throw away unrecognized
messages in some top-level state, it should not allow such
messages to interfere with timeout handling.

BR,
Ulf W