[erlang-questions] testing asynchronous code

Mazen Harake mazen.harake@REDACTED
Tue Apr 20 09:52:47 CEST 2010

Hi, Sorry for jumping in...

This method (of using sync calls for testing async functionality) is
sometimes dangerous, specially when you don't know the internals of the
system. The simple reason is that a sync call can block something that
wasn't suppose to be blocked and therefore you get 1) the possibility of
deadlocks which wouldn't be a problem when run "live" and 2) a slight
different semantics because you won't get the same behaviour of
race-conditions which can appear due to the async nature of the
processes communicating.

My 2 cents :)

/Mazen